This set of graphic organizers and planning pages will help your students to become confident and capable writers of realistic fiction. The graphic organizers can be used in conjunction with Lucy Calkins' "Writing Realistic Fiction" Unit of Study, but they can also stand alone!
Contents address the following topics and skills:
• Realistic fiction as a genre
• Initial brainstorming, inspired by "small moments" from students' lives
• "How can I write a story for people like me?"
• Internal/external character traits (including an alphabetized list of 190 sample character traits for reference)
• Writing about a problem or conflict
• Visualizing plot on a "story mountain"
• Writing scenes by showing instead of telling and using dialogue
• Ending with a bang!
I have also included the three-page unit overview that served as my guide in teaching realistic fiction writing to third-grade students. Detailed lesson plans are not included, but I hope that my unit overview will give you some sense of how I used these graphic organizers and planning pages with great success in my own classroom.