This writing resource notebook is a wonderful tool for introducing writing concepts as well as serving as a reference. It covers general writing info, narrative, informative / explanatory, and opinion writing, and 3 versions are included!
The first version is interactive, where students cut and paste foldables with the information into a composition notebook and for most of the pages, have to match up information and glue in the correct place. This version is engaging and results in a product that students enjoy reviewing and rereading. The second version is a booklet in which you print, hole-punch, and place the pages in a folder with clasps. This version is the quickest, as there is no cutting and pasting involved. The third version falls in the middle of these first two versions, where you print, hole-punch, and place the pages in a folder with clasps, but many of the pages have easy parts to cut out, match up, and glue in the correct place (minimal cutting and gluing). These different versions include the same information but in a different format, so you can choose which version suits your students and your timeframe best! Note that composition notebooks and folders with clasps are not included.
Within each of these versions, there are some pages that you will need to choose between two levels (the lower level is geared more toward second grade, and the higher level is geared more toward third/fourth grade). This notebook will help you cover Common Core Standards for writing. It will help students understand the different elements of each of these types of writing, and a writing sample is included for each type of writing as well. Please see the preview for a better glimpse of this resource!
The following is included for each version of the notebook:
- Directions (Interactive Version includes photos of completed pages, and the “Middle” Version incudes an answer key)
- Writing Resource Notebook cover page
- Section dividers (for general writing info, narrative, informative/explanatory, and opinion writing)
General Writing Info:
- Sharing our Writing
- Helpful Responses
- The Writing Process
- Prewriting Strategies
- Questions for Revising (2 levels)
- Editing Marks (2 levels)
- Better Word Choice
- Transition Words
- Narrative Writing Definition
- Narrative Writing Elements (2 levels)
- Personal Narrative – Small Moment Stories
- Personal Narrative Writing Sample (2 levels)
- Fictional Narrative – Story Plan in 2 Versions
- Fictional Narrative Writing Sample (2 levels)
- Informative/Explanatory Writing Definition
- Friendly Letter
- Friendly Letter Writing Sample
- How-to Writing
- How-to Writing Sample
- Informational Writing Elements (2 levels)
- Informational Writing Hamburger Model
- Informational Writing Sample (2 levels)
- Opinion Writing Definition
- Opinion Writing Elements (2 levels)
- Opinion Writing Hamburger Model
- Opinion Writing Sample (2 levels)
If you have questions or ideas for how I can improve my products, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you like this product, please leave positive feedback in order to receive credit toward future purchases! Also, consider following me on TpT!
Check out these other resources:
Writing Conventions Bundle: Grammar, Capitalization, Punctuation (Resource Notebook in 2 Versions and Posters & Cards)
Vocabulary Interactive Notebook For Any Words
Writing Paper for Holidays, Seasons, and General Use
Alliteration Pyramid Poem: Lesson Plans and Printables for Teaching Alliteration
Thank you and happy teaching!
© Erin Guge – All Rights Reserved
- You may not create anything to sell or share based on this product.
- This product is for one teacher use only. If others like the product, please send them to my TpT store.