Also included in
- Check out this bundle of 5 engaging units that you can teach during the entire month of December! That’s right! Just download these units and you won’t have to do a bit of lesson planning! This bundle includes five resources that perfectly pair together, celebrate the time of year, AND help stude$27.99$32.45Save $4.46
- Ready to instantly engage students with fun, doodle-y, and challenging English Language Arts lessons?Then, this bundle of Doodle and Do resources is perfect for your classroom! It’s filled with 6 different units that will help your students…Write Responses with Text-Based EvidenceLearn about and pr$27.99$32.20Save $4.21
When students analyze and respond to a text they are often required to cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support their interpretation of what the text says. That’s why it is essential to teach students not only the skill of selecting the right evidence, but also the skill of writing a response that analyzes the evidence they have selected. This can be a daunting task! However, this fun and engaging Doodle and Do resource is here to help! It includes fun sketch notes or doodle notes and interactive learning stations!
This Doodle and Do resource is designed to give students a solid background on HOW to write a response with textual evidence. First students learn all about text-based evidence and the READ strategy for responding to short answer questions. They do this with the super engaging set of DOODLE notes. Then, there’s ample opportunities to practice how to select, analyze, and write responses with text evidence as students rotate through 5 learning stations! At the learning stations they’ll find and analyze textual evidence, practice the READ strategy, improve two sample short answer responses, cut out and put together a written response, and analyze short responses.
Students learn the READ strategy with this resource. It’s a strategy that has been immensely successful in helping students to frame their writing. The strategy is easy to remember and simple for students to use. You’re going to be so impressed with how they respond to text with not only evidence from the text, but with an analysis of the example they selected. Plus, they’ll learn to write their responses in paragraph format!
About the “Doodle” Notes:
Students will learn How to Write Responses with Text-Evidence by completing a set of doodle notes. Doodle notes are color-it-in, fill-it-in, and doodle-encouraging note sheets. They’re not only visually engaging, they’re also effective in helping students increase their focus and ability to recall information. Plus…they’re really fun! In this resource, there are 2 options of Doodle Notes:
- All the notes are filled in. With this option students will color, embellish, and add doodles to the notes as you review the information with the class.
- Some of the notes are filled in and students need to fill in the remainder of the notes (like guided notes). Students will work to fill in the notes as you teach the content.
About the “Do” Activities
After students complete their Doodle Notes it’s time for them to “Do” some fun activities. Students will be rotating through 5 fun Learning Stations. The Learning Stations are designed to provide an engaging way for students to practice and master critical skills in small groups. Learning stations are extremely motivational since students are able to be in charge of their own learning. In addition, the differentiated activities meet the needs of individual students. These learning center activities help students to learn HOW to WRITE RESPONSES with TEXTUAL EVIDENCE while incorporating writing, reading, listening, and speaking activities.
Watch this short VIDEO to learn even more about Doodle and Do resources!
This detailed resource includes:
• Doodle and Do Resource Overview
• Lesson Plan for Doodle Notes (along with detailed tips for each study technique)
• Learning Stations Tips and Tricks
• Doodle Notes (2-pages) on How to Write Text-Based Responses (2 versions)
• Detailed Stations Set-Up and Task Guide for Teachers
• Learning Station Cards (5)
• Learning Station Activities:
- Find and Analyze Textual Evidence – Long reading passage + 3 tasks for finding and analyzing textual evidence
- Practice the READ Strategy – 2 reading passages + 2 cooperative tasks for writing responses using the READ strategy
- Analyze a Written Response – 2 reading passages + Activity to highlight and analyze the sample written responses
- Putting Together a Written Response – Long reading passage + cut and paste activity to put together a response and add in the missing information
- Improve the Written Response – 2 reading passages + Activity to revise and improve two sample responses
• All answer keys
Check this out!
This resource can be taught alone or as an integrated study across subjects! If you’d like to turn this lesson into an integrated study skills unit on writing strategies across the curriculum, we’d suggest working with your team (or independently if you teach multiple subject areas) and checking out the Spiral Studies Study Skills resources in each of our stores.
Have you seen these Doodle and Do resources?
- Problem-Solution Nonfiction Text Structure- Doodle Notes and Interactive Notebook
- How to Study for a Test - Doodle Notes and 5 Engaging Learning Stations
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction
Doodle notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more information.