This is a kid friendly grading rubric for writing. Can be used for ANY writing done in class as well as ANY K - 6 grade level. The document can be easily edited to fit your writing standards and expectations. This template provides students with a great sense of accountability and allows them to take ownership of their writing.
Expectations are in kid friendly writing, so the students know exactly what the teacher is looking for. Smiley faces are included for students to rate their own writing, based on expectations, before turning it in for the teacher to grade.
Students will rate themselves in the following areas:
* Did I write about a familiar topic or experience?
* Did I use my vocabulary words?
* Do/Does my sentences/writing make sense?
* Did I use neat handwriting?
* Did I check my writing for correct capitalization and punctuation?
Finally, students will answer the following questions to ensure that everything is ready for the teacher to rate, comment, and grade:
Did I perform a FINAL reread of my writing and correct any errors?
Is my writing ready to be read and graded by _________?