This comprehensive expository writing packet contains teacher tools and student handouts. The format is also adaptable to other cross content essays. Teachers and students will be successful with this easy to use format.
It is a well-known fact that children’s writing is strongest when it connects to first-hand learning experiences. Science experiments and investigations are wonderful hands-on learning experiences with which children remember details for years and years. Writing about such a project creates even stronger learning connections. This is a true marker for creating “Depth of Knowledge” in content areas.
Once the essay is complete and polished, consider transferring it into one of the suggested products. This will enable students to put an artistic touch to their writing, grounding it deeper in their affective and cognitive domains alike.
The Common Core Standards this essay addresses are written out by grade level. If you decide to utilize any of the varied product menu ideas included, you will also be addressing Reading, Speaking and Listening Common Core Standards that are not cited.
This writing assignment is rigorous enough for grades 7-8. Those utilizing for these grades may want to provide some initial structure and teaching expectations, then assign the essay as an independent writing assignment.
Table of Contents . . .
* Common Core Standards Listed for Grades 3-6
* Graphic Organizer for the Scientific Process
* Beyond the Expository Essay Product Menu Ideas
* Suggested Teaching Notes/Pacing by Grade Level
* Transition Words Chart
* Transition Words Practice Worksheets
* Transition Words Practice Worksheet Answer Keys
* Self-Editing & Revising Checklist
* Peer Editing Guide
* Scientific Process Expository Essay Rubric
* Scientific Process Expository Essay Assignment Overview
* Paragraph Pre-Write Pages for Student Packet
* Scientific Process Posters for Each Paragraph’s Content
* Cover Page for the Student Writing & Worksheet Packet
* Preparing the Student Writing Packet/Teacher Prep Notes