The thesis statement is the most critical aspect of an essay. For that reason, I spend quite a bit of time making sure my students' thesis statements are perfected before we begin pre-writing.
This thesis statement lesson focuses specifically on writing solid, effective thesis statements for argumentative essays. It contains:
1. A 26-slide presentation that covers the purpose of a thesis statement, the difference between a thesis and topic as well as between a thesis and topic sentence, common thesis-writing mistakes, and "Your Turn!" exercises for students.
2. Three different exercises to reinforce the material in the presentation. Two of them are worksheets that will allow students to practice identifying weak thesis statements and writing strong ones. One of the practice worksheets asks students to turn a topic into a thesis statement because students often confuse the two.
3. Twelve task cards for review and discussion purposes.
4. A suggested lesson and usage guide.
If you want to make sure your students are thoroughly prepared to write strong argumentative thesis statements, use this lesson.
If used according to the suggestions provided, this lesson should take approximately 3 days (with 45 minute class periods). Time may vary depending on the length of your discussions.
Looking for additional writing tools to add to your repertoire? Find these in my store:
Color-Coded Essay Graphic Organizer
Embedding Quotations in Research Papers MLA Practice
The Writing Games! Engaging MLA Research and Writing Skills Dice Game
Argumentative Research Paragraph Instructional Materials
MLA Research and Writing Skills Unit Assessment or Final Exam or Question Bank
Seven Deadly Sins of Sentence Fluency
Rules for Commas & Semicolons
Verbals Practice or Review Worksheet, Activity, & Task Cards
Verbals Unit Bundle
Prepositional Phrases Bundle
Types of Sentences Bundle
The Grammar Games! Dice Review
And more here
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.