Writing Clear and Complete Explanations in Math Class: 1 page visual "doodle note" plus learning stations to practice the new writing skills and strategies!
When students color or doodle in math class, it activates both hemispheres of the brain at the same time. There are proven benefits of this cross-lateral brain activity:
- new learning
- relaxation (less math anxiety)
- visual connections
- better memory & retention of the content!
Students fill in the sheets, answer the questions, and color, doodle or embellish. Then, they can use it as a study guide later on.
- types of math explanations
- writing in complete sentences
- supporting and justifying your explanation
- giving examples
- writing up an error analysis
- describing a problem solving strategy
- comparing two different methods for the same problem
- justifying your answers and choices
- describing a mathematical relationship
- providing a clear written explanation of steps, methods, problems, answers, mathematical relationships, and choices
Introduce the concepts with the doodle note page, and then split your class into groups for the 5 stations! They will immediately apply the new writing skills in mathematical situations!
Check out the preview for more detail.
If you are looking for writing skills packs for other subject areas, these sets are designed to integrate nicely:
--- Writing Skills in ELA
- Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence – Doodle Notes and Learning Stations
--- Science Writing Skills
- How to Write Like a Scientist – Doodle Notes and Learning Stations
--- Social Studies Writing Skills
- How to Avoid Plagiarism – Doodle Notes and Learning Stations