I have found that many students are writing two-sentence paragraphs or just repeating the same idea over and over in a single paragraph. In this lesson, you will lead your students through a step-by-step process with the end result being that their writing will be richer and fuller and much, much better. This paragraph will give students a strong groundwork for writing a solid paragraph. After learning how to add support and details in a paragraph, students can then use their creativity to showcase what they really know about a subject. This gives students a foundation to use on rigorous state standardized writing tests, writing contests, scholarship applications, etc.
Included in this lesson are:
• Seven steps to writing the perfect paragraph with instructions for the teacher
• A graphic organizer for the paragraph
• Two sample paragraphs for the teacher to use as examples
• A list of common transitional words and phrases
• A student rubric to peer edit a paragraph