Do your students need practice explaining their mathematical reasoning? This set of 36 problem cards asks students to answer questions relating to whole number numeration and construct viable arguments for their responses.
• 6 problem cards that ask students to construct whole numbers and explain the relationship between two place values containing the same number
• 6 problem cards with base-ten models that ask students to write the number in standard form and explain their reasoning.
• 6 problem cards that ask students to write a number in standard form, expanded form, and words then draw a model to represent the number
• 6 problem cards that ask students to compare two numbers then explain using words and/or pictures
• 6 problem cards that ask students to round a number to the nearest ten and explain their reasoning
• 6 problem cards that ask students to round a number to the nearest hundred and explain their reasoning
Ideas for Use:
• Ask students to complete one problem card per day; discuss.
• Use the first problem card for direct instruction; the second for guided practice; the third, fourth and fifth for independent practice; and the sixth for assessment.
• Send problems home for homework.
These problems provide practice for Common Core State Standards for Number & Operations in Base Ten (4.NBT.A.1, 4.NBT.A.2, 4.NBT.A.3), as well as Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practice (MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MP7, MP8). To get a closer look at the set, click on PREVIEW.
Are you looking for more Numbers and Operations in Base Ten materials? Try these!
• 4.NBT Task Cards and Checklists
- Three parallel sets of 20 task cards, answer sheets, and corresponding checklists provide opportunities for practice and assessment of students’ skills with multi-digit whole numbers.
• Place Value Unit
- Parallel activities and assessments differentiate for two levels: basic and advanced. Instructional posters, hands-on activities, and practice sheets move students toward conceptualization and mastery of multi-digit numeration.
• Math Facts Baseball
- Batter up! This whole-class baseball game will motivate your students to learn their facts. Each inning consists of four 36-problem timed tests: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is intended for students in third, fourth, or fifth grade who are working to master their facts.
Click on Follow Me to be notified as other products are published.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching