While helping my 7th grade ELA classes practice writing with transitions, I noticed many of them did not include transitions in their writing, or were using the same 2 or 3 all the time. I decided to use "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" as inspiration, and have students create their own storyboards following the same style.
Thus, "If You Give a (blank) a *blank" stories were created!
Day 1: Teacher reviews transitions and uses original "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" text for instruction. Step by step instructions are included inside the powerpoint for the introduction lesson!
Students begin working on creating their own storyboards.
Day 2: Students finish their storyboards. You won't believe how CREATIVE and FUNNY these stories can be!!
Day 3: Give students a day to share their stories with the class. For many students, this was their time to shine whether through their humor, their crafty writing, or their artistic abilities. 85% of every class wanted to share theirs on the projector with the class and we ran out of sharing time each class period!
*This product contains step by step instructions for the teacher to introduce the lesson, an unmarked copy of the text "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie", a teacher-annotated copy of the text, and 8 real student examples to show your students!
Students LOVED this project and I loved having them decorate my walls and bulletin boards. Whenever students had free time, they always wandered over to the walls to read other students' stories and look at the pictures.
Best of all, I noticed students using transition words more frequently in their writing!!
**** Additional Lanuage Arts Products that You Might Love ****
• Author’s Purpose- PIE-Dominoe Matching Pairs Game
• Conjunction Trains Worksheet
• ELA Foldable- The Writing Process
• Correcting Celebrity TWEETS- Semi-colon and Colons Practice!
• Practice Semi-Colons and Colons by Writing Tweets!
• Homonyms Practice: Their, They’re, and There
• ZOMBIE Themed Semi-Colon and Colons Practice
• I have...Who Has… VERBS-Fun Zombie Edition
• Parts of Speech Sorting Game
• Prepositions BINGO game
• Writing with Transitions-ELA Storyboards
• Writing Bio Poems-Poetry Month, ELA Creative Writing
Thank you for downloading!
****Don't forget to leave feedback and a rating on purchased items to receive TpT credits towards future purchases. That's like FREE MONEY!!!