Buy a sounds of y word sort here.
Pirate Word Games
Practice with Y as a Vowel
Y says /ē/ and Y says /ī/
How to Play the Card Game:
- Take turns drawing cards.
- On each turn, read the card and record the word in the correct column on the included recording sheet.
- If a special card is drawn, do as it says.
- The player with the most cards after all are drawn is the winner.
How to Play the Board Game:
- Goal: Be the first player to make it to the treasure!
- Partners share a game board. Each player gets their own recording sheet. Use a paperclip and pencil for the spinner.
- Players take turns spinning the spinner. If a player lands on “y says /ī/” they must move to the closest word where y is used a vowel to say ī. If a player lands on “y says /ē/” they must move to the closest word where y is used a vowel to say ē.
- Record the word under the correct heading on the recording sheet.
- The first player to make it to the finish square is the winner.