Wondering what to do for grammar this year? How to make grammar instruction less painful and more effective?
This YA Lit Mentor Sentence Grammar Bundle will answer both of those questions! You will receive 20 weeks worth of ready-to-go grammar instruction that you can implement immediately.
Using mentor sentences from favorite Young Adult Literature authors (see list below), students learn how to write great sentences, rather than just editing a bunch of boring and badly-written ones. Each week, you can introduce a new sentence and invite students to notice what is interesting about it. In the days following, students label parts of speech, find key sentence parts, and then create their own sentences mirroring the mentor's style! Students can see how grammar directly affects real-life writing every week.
Mentor Sentence Bundle Includes:
- 20 Mentor Sentence Student Handouts -- Just copy one for each student, and you're good to go for the week! Includes both PDFs and editable Word docs for each.
- Teacher Notes for Each Sentence -- Lists the grammar concepts I teach with each sentence, and what your students should spot on Day 1.
- Answer Key for Mentor Sentence Labeling -- Just in case, I've labeled each sentence with the answers I use for Day 2 and 3.
- 5 Grammar Quizzes - Give a grammar quiz once a month to check for understanding with these quick two-to-a-page quizzes.
- Grammar Quiz Answers -- Makes grading quick and easy!
- Teacher Introduction - Basic ideas behind using mentor sentences and an explanation of the daily activities.
- Abbreviation Key - A simple key for all of my grammar abbreviations. Easy-to-print PDF and editable Word doc, which you can share with students for easier labeling.
These are the time-tested sentences I use with my eighth and ninth graders, but they could be used for any class 6th - 12th. Year after year, this approach connects with kids, parents, and administration!
Mentor Sentences are from the following texts:
Along for the Ride, Dessen
North of Beautiful, Headley
Carter Finally Gets It, Crawford
Teacher Man, McCourt
City of Bones, Clare
Harry Potter IV, Rowling
The Great Influenza, Barry
City of Ember, DuPrau
Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee, Shields
Darcy’s Story, Aylmer
Where She Went, Forman
The Art of Racing in the Rain, Stein
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Kaling
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, See
Super Freakonomics, Levitt and Dubner
It’s Kind of a Funny Story, Vizzini
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Chbosky