This is a close reading guide to the book Yang the Youngest and His Terrible Ear, School by Lensey Namioka. Your class will cheer for Yingtao as he struggles with his role as second violin in his family's string quartet but comes out victorious on the baseball field.
As close reading is such an important part of the Common Core, students need to be taught to be analytic as they read texts. This unit includes close reading sections, chapter-by-chapter vocabulary, a chapter-by-chapter summary, and discussion questions (for each chapter), as well as "essential questions" that can serve as long-term class discussion starters. Writing projects and character studies are also included. I have used this unit with gifted grade two all the way through grade 5. I have used this unit in special education as well as regular education classrooms, and it has been successful across the board. It includes everything you need! (RL.2-RL.5 covered in this novel study)
This unit contains:
* helpful tips to turn your readers into analytic close readers
* questions to ask as you read with your students
* a brief summary
* a list of characters and their descriptions
* a chapter-by-chapter list of defined vocabulary
* extensive chapter summaries
* chapter-by-chapter vocabulary for students to define
* chapter-by-chapter reading comprehension questions
* chapter-by-chapter close reading text analysis
* visualization activities
* extended writing activities
* a pre-reading writing activity
* 10 interactive notebook pages
* an answer key.
Please feel free to send any questions my way.
AND...don't forget to leave feedback (TPT gives you credit for this, so it's like free money!!!)
Thank you, and good luck!