Games are an effective strategy for learning vocabulary because they increase engagement and interaction with the vocabulary. The vocabulary cards for the games cover a year of biology vocabulary. Also included, are Instructions for 8 games, a unique Frayer-ish model card and an envelope template for interactive notebooks.
Dr. Marzano recommends using six steps to develop vocabulary.
1. Provide a description, explanation, or example of the new term.
2. Ask students to restate the description, explanation, or example in their own words.
3. Ask students to construct a picture, pictograph, or symbolic representation of the term.
4. Engage students periodically in activities that help them add to their knowledge of the terms in their vocabulary notebooks.
5. Periodically ask students to discuss the terms with one another.
6. Involve students periodically in games that enable them to play with terms
The resources in A Year of Biology Games focus on step 6 (games) but also provides students the experiences in steps 2, 3 and 4.
by Sizzling Science