Yoga Activities for Speech Therapy
What educators are saying
Are you looking for some simple ways to incorporate movement into your speech therapy sessions? If so, these yoga flashcards are perfect!!
Movement is a great way to stimulate the body and mind! Research even supports that physical activity improves cognitive and executive functions, and academic achievement in young students!
Incorporating movement is especially important during this pandemic because students are participating in more virtual sessions than ever before in history. Ancetodal evidence also suggests that this pandemic is greatly effecting children’s mental health. Depression and anxiety in children is on the rise.
And, guess what? Some research suggests that yoga intervention activities may improve symptoms of anxiety among students!
Here's what's included in this product:
Did You Know
- Summarized statement from a research article and direct quote supporting why it’s important to incorporate yoga into speech therapy and the classroom especially during these stressful times. (page 3).
60 Yoga Flashcards
60 cards showing 12 different yoga poses to incorporate into your in-person OR virtual speech therapy sessions to target various speech and language areas (pages 4 to 13)
- Hold the Pose Practice – 12 cards - yoga poses to increase student engagement and encourage them to get out of their seats and hold a selected pose for 10 seconds. These cards are a fun way to introduce yoga to children during your speech therapy sessions.
- Rapid Naming – 12 cards - hold a yoga pose and rapidly name items in a category (e.g. Name as many animals as you can while doing a child’s pose, name as many clothes as you can while doing a downward facing dog pose, etc.)
- Articulation Practice - 12 cards – select a card and say a target sound or word containing the target sound 5 times while holding the yoga pose. Sometimes focusing on something like balance or movement is extremely motivating!
- Recall and Name the Pose – 12 cards - flex that memory muscle – teach your student various memory strategies to retain the name of the pose and say it!
- Open-ended Yoga Cards –12 cards - write in a target goal on these 12 open-ended yoga cards to individualize as needed.
Credits and Thank you! (pages 14 -15)