PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Click on the PREVIEW to see lots of samples.
The letter Yy is quite a unique letter, in that it can be both a consonant and vowel.
To complicate matters, the Y has several different phonemes (sounds).
It can have a long e sound, as in worry, as well as a long i sound, as in fly.
With that in mind, I designed this Ys Guys & Spies packet, as recognizing special spellings for vowel sounds is part of successful decoding & word recognition.
Just like my best-selling ”Vowels & Villains” packet, instead of students being frustrated and tripped up with “exceptions to the rules”, they are prepared and get excited when they find a “spy” that they can “jail”.
The packet includes:
* A letter Y craftivity, where students create 3 different “Y Guys “ writing the various Y words on the backs of their letters, or using the blank word strips, to write the words on, and then glue the strip to the bottom of their Y Guy.
* 3, Y Guys posters to introduce the lesson, with a matching word poster filled with lots of examples.
* A variety of worksheets that build vocabulary, including “Jail the Spies” fun.
* A “Letter Yy Word Booklet”.
* A short, 2-page “Ys Guys” emergent reader, with 36 Dolch sight words.
* A graphing extension of the last page in the emergent reader.
* 2 “Disguise” definition posters.
* 2 “Wanted” posters.
* 4 sorting mats, to sort the 160, mini word cards. Quick, easy & fun way to build vocabulary. Includes matching worksheets for more practice.
* A “Ys Guys” spinner game.
* Practice literacy & math at the same time, with 4, number-strip puzzles. Students color, write on words, cut & glue together to make a mosaic picture puzzle. Reinforces skip counting by 2s & 10s.
I’m Diane from Teach With Me, hoping your students enjoy learning tricky words, with the silly Spy Guys.