Also included in
- Includes 73 pages! This unit uses popular children's books to teach social emotional skills. This program can easily be incorporated into times you may already have in your schedule like morning meeting, read aloud time, book buddy time, etc. This program can also be used by specialists or in small$7.20$9.00Save $1.80
- Includes 270 pages! This unit uses popular children's books to teach social emotional skills. This program can easily be incorporated into times you may already have in your schedule like morning meeting, read aloud time, book buddy time, etc. This program can also be used by specialists or in small$25.20$31.50Save $6.30
Zach Gets Frustrated by William Mulcahy
This resource uses the book Zach Gets Frustrated by William Mulcahy to teach about how to manage frustration. Zach and his family go to the beach, but Zach is having a lousy day. Zach kicks sand, yells angry words, and asks his dad if they can just go home now. Instead, his dad teaches him a simple, three-step approach to get a handle on frustration when things aren’t going his way: 1) name it (why are you frustrated?); 2) tame it (self-regulation exercises such as deep breathing or visualization); 3) reframe it (change your thoughts to change your feelings). Easy to understand and easy to remember.
Using children's books to teach social skills is an excellent way to engage students in topics they need to learn or practice. Many children’s books are easily available and often familiar to students. Most students (even older ones) enjoy stories read to them and are more motivated to learn the concepts than through direct teaching. Because stores are fun and pleasurable for many children, being read to feels like a leisure activity during class time. Students also tend to relate the emotions of the characters and can easily provide discussion into how they should think, feel, or act.
Make Delivering Social Emotional Learning Easy
This resource includes a 30 minute lesson plan and activities which is a perfect way to introduce stories during circle time, social emotional learning time, or even as a sub plan when you want to reinforce concepts already talked about. It is also designed to follow the concepts presented in the Second Step® Curriculum. This product has been granted permission from the publisher and is meant to align with the materials of the Second Step® curriculum. It is also perfect for social workers, counselors, or psychologists to reteach the Second Step® Curriculum concepts in small groups or individual sessions. It comes complete with a scripted lesson plan, connections to social emotional/common core standards, lesson teaching guides, and individual practice pages.
This Resource Includes 12 Pages:
- Scripted Lesson Plan includes Essentials Questions, Lesson Objectives, I Can Statements, Connection to CCSS and SEL Standards.
- Frustrated Vocabulary Cards (Clipart and Photo)
- Frustration Triangle Teaching Guide (2 versions: Second Step© or Book)
- Frustration Triangle Worksheet (2 versions: Second Step© or Book)
- Chill Skills and Calm Down
Looking for More? The Teach with Books series contains many other lessons. Buy individual lessons or get the bundle and save up to 20%!
- Feelings in Our Body
- Managing Frustration
- Calming Down Strong Feelings
- Handling Waiting
- Handling Anger
- Managing Disappointment
- Using Words to Say the Problem
- Inviting Others to Play
- Sharing with Friends
- Compromising With Friends
- Assertiveness with Friends
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the Follow Button next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.
A LITTLE ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi! I’m Hiedi, a school psychologist who has worked for 18 years with PreK-12th grade students who struggle with social emotional functioning in school settings. The teachers and students I create products for need fun and creative ways to address social emotional skills in classroom. My resources are all tested and tried so you get the best quality possible. I strive on getting feedback from teachers about how the students like the resources and adapt them to their needs.
If you have any questions about this resource, or if you’d simply like to connect, use the links below.
Thank you for Helping Students Be Their Best!