Also included in
- Need space STEM activities? Are you looking for Moon-themed activities to celebrate the Apollo anniversary? Launch your students into STEM with these space-themed STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process. This GROWING mega bundle is jam-packed for space STEM challenges for the$123.72$154.65Save $30.93
- GROWING bundle for Digital STEM challenges for Elementary! Perfect to support distance learning and hybrid classrooms. Lessons include: Complete Teacher Guide: Detailed teacher guide with links to resources, grading rubric, handouts on a STEM career connection and science background, and handouts fo$62.92$78.65Save $15.73
Your mission: Save a hurt astronaut with the use of a zipline! Includes a Moon and Mars version.
Supports Distance Learning: Editable Google Slides for a digital STEM Journal
Science background: Students first learn about the science of zip lines including center of gravity and the forces acting on the vehicle such as friction and gravity. These concepts help inform the vehicle designs.
Engineering Challenge: Using common materials such as craft sticks, paper, and tape, students then design a vehicle to carry an astronaut (ping pong ball) to safety down a zipline! A full teacher guide includes links to videos, photos of student projects, and resources. The packet also include handouts to guide your students through the engineering design process to solve the challenge.
STEM Real-World Connections: The challenge follows a story line of either a Moon or Mars mission. Handouts cover current events of NASA's Mission to the Moon and Mars. The student packet also includes STEM career highlights of transportation engineering and soil scientist.
Our students loved this activity! We included differentiation for grades K - 5 to make this challenge adaptable for various skill levels. Also included are activities to take this challenge further with zip line races and more!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Grading rubric for the engineering design process
- STEM Career Connections
- Real-world STEM history and science handouts
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Editable Google Slides for a STEM Journal
- Instructional STEM video
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥