This packet includes ideas to enhance your zoo unit. It includes:
1. Books about the zoo - a list of suggested book titles
2. Describe a zoo - There are a couple of different versions. The first one is the word ZOO. You can enlarge it to go on a chart. The teacher records responses around the word zoo. An example is provided. There is also a blank form for students to complete. There is another brainstorming sheet. An example is provided along with a color blank copy and a black and white option.
3.Would You Find This Animal at the Zoo? - The words for the title are colorful and enlarged to go on a chart. Cut out the answer cards and place them randomly on your chart. Cut out the picture cards and tape over the answer cards. This will create a flap. You can see the animal picture with the animal name. Ask students if they would find that particular animal at the zoo. The lift the flap to reveal the answer.
4. Zoo word cards - These cards could be used in your writing center during your unit of the zoo.
5. What Is Your Favorite Zoo Animal? - The words are enlarged for the title to go on a chart. There are animal pictures to go at the bottom of your graph along with animal label cards. These can go under the picture.
6. Greater Than / Less Than Game with Objects - This game addresses the Common Core. The directions are included right before the game.
7. Zoo Animal Reporter - Each student gets a Zoo Animal Report form to take home. They choose a zoo animal, fill out the zoo animal report form, and return to school. Each student shares his report in front of the class. You may take all the reports and combine them into a class book. A book cover is provided along with the animal report form. There are also name tags that you can print on business cards. They are set to use with AVERY 8371. You can glue their picture into the square and then place in clear nametag badges.
8. Dear Zoo - This class book goes with the book Dear Zoo. In the story a letter is written for a pet. They send him an elephant, but it is too big. They continue to send various animals from the zoo. There is a class book cover, a sample, a blank student page, and zoo crates to cut out and tape over the student's drawing.
10. Who Ran Away from the Zoo? - This is another class book that you can make. There is a class book cover, a sample, a student blank form, and zoo cages to go over the zoo animal.