-at word spelling unit for Kindergarten
This packet includes materials for learning and reinforcing the –at word family. The focus of this packet is to have the kindergarteners complete a “spelling test” at the end of the week. My hope is to help bridge the gap from kindergarten to first by introducing a Friday “spelling test”. The importance of this unit is not entirely the “grade” they earn at the end of the week but the learning and preparation that goes on before the test. The focus words in this packet are cat, hat, rat, sat, mat, and bat.
Included in this packet:
• -at word list (6 words for testing + 1 bonus word of your choice.) (cat, hat, rat, sat, mat, bat)
• word cards with this weeks words on them – create a word ring / send home for practice
• Read, Trace, Write the words
• Write the room with –at words: 6 picture cards for the room
and worksheet for writing
• -at word cards, letter tiles for creating the words Give each
child their –at board and the sheet with the letter tiles on it.
Cut each out and the teacher staples them to create a flip book.
• Word cards with matching pictures Use as a writing resource or
cut apart to have children match the picture to the word.
• Journal Page – Use one or more of the –at words to write a
sentence. (You can have the word cards at the center for
• Center cards – Laminate and have the kids use
play-doh to create the words or trace with dry erase
• Large at poster, 6 smaller cards with the initial sound of our
spelling words for the week. Place a magnet on the at poster and one on the back of the addition letters for a word building activity.
• Testing form – 6 blanks for words, a bonus line for the word of your choice (sight word from the week or a word that fits the –at family like flat or that) There is also a place where you can checkmark if they have beautiful handwriting.