These passages are excellent for students who are beginning to have a good grip on vowel patterns and sight words, but who are still dropping beginning blends and digraphs. They will build fluency, blend recognition, and comprehension. All passages are on a late first/early second grade level.
This packet includes a story for 23 different blends! Each passage has directions at the top so these can be sent home for homework, used in a reading group, or with a parent volunteer.
1. A list of 10 words are given for the blend. Students should practice these words and check them off once they can read them fluently.
2. They read the story. All stories are around 120 words.
3. They go through the story and highlight all the words that they just learned as they find them in the story.
4. They reread the story to build fluency.
5. They answer 3 comprehension questions about the story. They should find the answer to each question in the story. One answer will be circled. One answer will be boxed in, and one will be underlined.
6. They reread the story one more time, but this time only for a minute and use the numbers on the side to calculate how many words they read per minute and record that number.
23 Blends/Digraphs included: bl, br, ch, cl, cr, dr, fl, fr, gl, gr, pl, pr, sc/sk, sh, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sw, th, tr, tw
Don't forget to follow Second Goodies to be the first to know when have new products!
keywords: blends, digraphs, fluency, comprehension, passages, stories, vocabulary