PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This #frothinonphonics handbook is FREE for all teachers. It contains over 150 pages of strategies, tips and teaching ideas for teaching phonics and spelling in the classroom. Check out my #frothinonphonics Spelling Bundle for resources that complement this handbook.
INSIDE THE HANDBOOK IS:
Section 1: Introduction
· Overview of who I am
· How this handbook is set out
Section 2: Phonics Overview
· The importance of teaching phonics
· What is synthetic phonics?
· Spelling metalanguage
· What is the process of synthetic phonics? How do we plan for teaching phonics in our school?
SECTION 3: What does Synthetic Phonics look like in the classroom?
· The 4 areas of spelling
· What does teaching phonics look like in the classroom?
· How to differentiate for students?
SECTION 4: Resource bank- Explicit lessons
· Overview of phonological/phonemic awareness progression
· Explicit lessons- phonological and sight words
SECTION 5: Resource bank- Practice/Consolidation Activities
· Phonological/phonemic awareness
· Single sounds/early alphabet activities (including CVC)
· More advanced phonological activities- blending/segmenting, working with digraphs, r-controlled vowels, diphthongs etc
· Visual/sight words
· Morphemic/Etymological activities
· How to incorporate into other areas of literacy
SECTION 6: Displays
SECTION 7: Online Phonics Programs & Incorporating Technology Ideas
SECTION 8: Featured Resources
· Where to purchase featured resources
· Featured Instagram accounts
SECTION 9: APPENDIXES
· Appendix A- Labels
· Appendix B- Phonemes Chart
· Appendix B- Personal Word List Templates
· Appendix C: Personal Word List Ideas