This is an example of a 'visual prompt'. It can be used with your children or students to slow them down and give them the 'thinking time' they need to correctly follow instructions.
It follows a traffic light concept - where we stop on red, wait on yellow and go on green.
Just point to the colour representing what you are doing, as you are dong it.
* Point to the red light and give your instruction.
* Point to the yellow light and encourage your child/student to wait and think about what they need to do.
At this 'light' you may like to:
- repeat the instruction, emphasising key words or important concepts
- count the parts of the instruction you have given.
- give a gestural prompt too - like holding your hand up in a 'stop' gesture, to reinforce 'waiting'
* Point to the green light when you're ready for your child/student to follow the instruction.
Please email for the larger .jpeg or original Boardmaker file, if needed.