Give your students practice using the 'ly' and 'ful' suffixes with this fun word sorting activity. This activity is very easy to prepare.
To play, students turn over a base-word card and a suffix card to see if it makes a new word. If so, students record the new words on the recording sheets.
Included in this packet are:
* 12 easy base-word cards, with matching monster graphics
(appropriate for 1st grade)
* 12 challenging base-word cards (appropriate for 2nd-3rd grade)
* 12 'ly' and 'ful' suffix cards for each set
* 2 anchor posters (one in color, and one in B&W)
* 2 different recording sheets - one easy, and one challenging
* directions for differentiating
* teacher instruction sheet
You can use this activity to introduce the concept, or as a culminating activity. It could be used with a whole class, in small groups or pairs, or for individual students as a review. My students love this every year and they will start pointing out all words with the 'ly' and 'ful' endings after doing this word sort.
Hope you enjoy!