Over 13 years of experience teaching Grades 7 and 8 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Over the years, I have taught Reading, Writing, Oral Communication, Media Literacy, History, Geography, Math, Drama, Homeroom, ESL, Spec Ed.
MY TEACHING STYLE
I am passionate about the following 3 things:
- A STRATEGY-BASED APPROACH: I believe in helping students to try to find a growth mindset. I believe that using strategies can help students to reach their academic and non-academic goals.
- DIGITAL LITERACY: I regularly integrate technology into my program. Over the years, I have explored everything from BYOD to chromebook carts to COWs to laptop pods and 1:1 technology models. I like using google docs and google slides with my students. I am exploring using Google Classroom as a framework to have students submit work and receive marks.
- EQUITY EDUCATION and SOCIAL JUSTICE: I believe in choosing resources and materials that raise awareness and hopefully inspire students to help make the world a better place. I have to teach the curriculum. I get to choose the resources that I use to guide my students through the curriculum.
HONORS/AWARDS/SHINING TEACHER MOMENT
Some cool moments so far:
- The day one of my parents nominated me for an Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Winning a Teacher Appreciation Contest and going overseas to help rebuild a school
- Winning a digital interactive whiteboard for my classroom by tweeting how I use technology in my class
- The day a former student told me I was the most influencial male influence in his life.
MY OWN EDUCATIONAL HISTORY
My Bachelor of Education is from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto.
My superhero power is the ability to look at myself in the mirror with my eyes closed.
ADDITIONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
I make the world a better place. I do this by showing students how to stand up for themselves and for others. Oh. And, I also make lesson plans and teach.
What do you do?
Teachers around the world have downloaded our resources. That's kind of cool!