- I'm currently teaching U.S. History, Honors U.S. History, World Civilizations, Psychology, Sociology, Government, and Economics to 9th - 12th graders in a private high school setting in Indiana. - In previous years, I've taught 6th - 8th grade Social Studies and 6th grade Religion at a private Catholic school and 6th - 8th grade Social Studies, 6th - 8th grade Study Skills class, and 6th grade Remedial English in a virtual/ hybrid middle school setting. Both of these were also in Indiana. - I was a Graduate Assistant responsible for teaching some class sessions in both Psychology 100 (Introduction to Psychology) and Psychology 324 (Psychology of Women) as a Graduate student. - My student teaching experience was in an 8th grade U.S. History classroom in a local middle school (also in Indiana). - While earning my Bachelor's Degree, I taught private snare drum and drum set music lessons for 8 years at a local music store.
- I always differentiate instruction based on ability levels, student interest, and learning style. - My students do A LOT of writing in my classes! We do weekly journal assignments along with plenty of formal and informal assessments that involve writing in some form. At the beginning of the year I always warn my students that we will, "Read a little bit every day and we'll write a little bit every day, too." - My students "show what they know" with product - based assessments as well as typical test and quiz assessments. - Plenty of field trips! - I include lots of technology in my lessons! I use websites and free web applications (like studystack.com, which I HIGHLY recommend, and, starting with the 2016 - '17 school year, livebinders. (Here's the link to the livebinders website if you are interested: http://www.livebinders.com/. It's a very handy tool for students and teachers.) Recently, I've been using Google Classroom (as well as some of the other Google for Education apps) in my classes, too. - I use edited primary sources at least once per unit.
- "Outstanding Future Teacher" award from the Indiana Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. - "Outstanding Social Studies Methods Paper" award from Ball State University's 12th Annual Student History Conference.
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology from Ball State University (Muncie, Indiana) with minors in Political Science and Ancient Studies. - Masters of Education in Secondary Education from Ball State. I also earned my Indiana Initial Practitioner's teaching license in Social Studies while working on my Masters degree. My areas of concentration are: Historical Perspectives, Citizenship and Government, Sociology, and Psychology.
- I have been married for 19 years and have a daughter in 10th grade. - Worked with adjudicated youth in a residential behavioral treatment facility in Anderson, Indiana for 5 years. - I served in the U. S. Navy during Operation Desert Storm! I was an Aviation Electrician's Mate working on F/A - 18C aircraft in Strike Fighter Squadron 86. - Visit my website at https://www.mrsticklersclass.weebly.com and my blog for parents, tutors, and teachers at http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/IN/Muncie/8049624/. - Follow my Classroom board on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lewishenry/my-classroom/. (Techniques and things I use in my classroom.)
English Language Arts, Specialty, Science, Anatomy, Biology, Environment, Other (Science), Social Studies - History, Ancient History, Civics, Government, U.S. History, European History, World History, Middle Ages, Arts & Music, Visual Arts, Sociology, Other (Social Studies - History), Classroom Management, Psychology, Study Skills, Cooking, Study Skills, Holidays/Seasonal, Back to School, For All Subjects