We are colleagues focused on making math real:
I am an award-winning author and educator with more than 15 years of college-level teaching experience. I have written 7 college-level textbooks and more than 200 stand-alone learning activities used by learners worldwide. I have created student-empowered learning environments as a professor at the following institutions:
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College, 2005 - present
- Green River Community College, 2000 - 2005
- United States Air Force Academy, 1998 - 2000
- Rio Salado College, 1997 - 1998
- Brigham Young University, 1992 - 1994
Scott is an award-winning professor who strives to help students develop mathematical reasoning and persistent problem solving as they make sense of big mathematical ideas. He structures the classroom environment so that students are afforded the opportunity to make sense of mathematics and strives to develop enthusiastic learners in the classroom.
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College, Residential Mathematics Faculty - Chandler, Arizona, 1998 – present
- Research in Innovation in Mathematics and Science Education (RIMSE), Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, 2008 – 2010
- Center for Research on Education in Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology (CRESMET)
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, 2007 – 2008 academic year
- Chandler Unified School District, Secondary Mathematics Teacher Specialist - Chandler, Arizona, 1996 – 1998
- Chandler High School, Mathematics Teacher - Chandler, Arizona, 1991 – 1998
- Payson High School, Mathematics Teacher - Payson, Arizona, 1988 - 1991
- Intel Corporation, Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics Summer Institute - Chandler, Arizona, Summers 1993 – 2001
Our passion is helping mathematics students answer the question, "When am I ever going to use this?" By bringing interesting and engaging real world contexts into the classroom, we help students look at the world through a mathematical lens. When learners begin to see that mathematics is not an isolated subject in school but rather a powerful tool that can help them make smart decisions, they become motivated and empowered. The learning activities I create engage and empower students.
- Textbook and Academic Authors Association TEXTY textbook excellence award, 2007, 2012
- Green River Community College Make Their Day staff award, 2005
- Faculty Excellence Award, Green River Community College, 2001
- Calculus Division Instructor of the Year, US Air Force Academy, 2000
- Education and Training Manager of the Year, Luke Air Force Base, AZ, 1996
- American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges Teaching Excellence Award, 2007
- Maricopa Institute of Learning Fellow, 2001-2002
- American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges INPUT Award - Maricopa Mathematics Modules, 2000
- Intel Innovations in Education Award, 1998
- Phoenix Suns Outstanding Arizona Educator, 1997
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Science and Mathematics, State Finalis
- Ph.D. candidate, Business Admin., Northcentral University, 2012
- M.S. Mathematics, Brigham Young University, 1994
- B.S. Mathematics, Brigham Young University, 1992
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction–Mathematics Education from Arizona State University.
- B.S. and M.A.T. in Mathematics Education from Northern Arizona University
- Husband and father of six children.
- Resident of Arizona
- Husband and father of four children.
- Resident of Arizona
Math, Algebra, Applied Math, Arithmetic, Basic Operations, Calculus, Fractions, Geometry, Graphing, Measurement, Numbers, Order of Operations, PreCalculus, Other (Math), Statistics, Word Problems, Algebra 2, Decimals, Place Value