Grade 7-12 ELA @ Christian private school
Grade 6 Grammar & Writing @ rural public school
Grade 6-8 Grammar & Writing @ urban charter school
Grade 9-12 ESL Tutoring
Adult Ed ESL Tutoring
1) I aim to make students feel interested in and capable of learning new things in grammar and writing.
2) I try to make grammar concepts fun and memorable, and writing assignments that ignite a spark so that students can generate plenty of ideas to be revised and edited later.
3) I create clear, detailed lesson plans and try to help students see that they're meeting objectives and growing in progress each day.
4) I give students room to be creative in their writing assignments.
5) I use shorter writing assignments, graded on one aspect at a time, to build up to the longer writing assignments graded by a full rubric.
Advantage Academy Teacher of the Month, February 2013
Finalist, U.S. Student Fulbright Program (ETA), April 2010
Praxis II (PLT 5-9) Recognition of Excellence Award, March 2009
John B. Begley Scholarship Award, February 2006
Bachelor of Arts, Middle Grades English Education, 2009
Master of Arts, English Language Learner Education, 2015
Even though it was in the early 90s, my elementary school days were a little more "old school" -- studying for spelling bees, conjugating Latin verbs, and even diagramming sentences. It taught me to love the English language from a very early age. Once I realized not everyone around me had that old school advantage, I found myself energized by helping my classmates grasp the grammar terminology and patterns for what they instinctively knew.
By the end of high school, I knew two things: 1) I wanted to be a published author and 2) I wanted to help other people find their voice through writing. So, after college, I taught middle school English for five years before my husband and I recently moved overseas. Hopefully, I will be able to teach in my new location soon, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying "publishing" my work here on TpT!
I love the teaching profession, and I hope to help new (and tired) middle school ELA teachers by providing quality, low-prep grammar & writing materials.