This file contains 80 pages of worksheets practicing rhyming, blending, segmenting, reading and spelling with short vowels. This packet concentrates on using short vowels in CVC words, but also has some pages practicing longer words and the "ss", "ll" and "ck" endings that follow short vowels.
For each short vowel there are 6 different types of practices:
1. Filling in one letter (vowel or 1st/3rd letter) to make CVC words to practice phonemes. Students also draw a picture to practice reading the word.
2. Adding the missing CVC word to a sentence. Sentences are simple, containing only common high frequency words and other CVC words.
3. Match the word to the picture - some CVC words and some longer words.
4. Spell the word to match the picture putting one letter in each box - one page of CVC words and another page of longer 4-7 letter, short vowel words.
5. Change the vowel of a CVC word to make a new word. Draw the picture of the new word.
6. Unscramble the sentence The words used to form the sentences are all CVC and common high frequency words.
1. Change any letter of a CVC word to make a new word. Then make one change to the new word to make yet another word.
2. Write in the right vowel so that the word matches to accompanying picture.
3. Fill in the right ll/ss/ck word in a simple paragraph . The paragraph is made up of simple sentences, containing mostly high frequency and short vowel decodable words.
Other Phonics Resources you may be interested in:
Complete Phonics Word Wall Contains over 1200 words organized by word families and spelling patterns.
Short Vowels Mega Bundle A range of activities to teach Short Vowel Word Families. Includes most of the worksheets found in this Short Vowels Word Work packet.