Encouraging students to think deeply about mathematics is a goal of every math teacher. One strategy I enjoy is the "4 WAYS" strategy. Students are presented with a problem and asked to try to solve it 4 DIFFERENT yet CORRECT ways. This strategy challenges students to use various representations. The challenge is irresistible, and often students want to try solving the problem MORE than 4 ways!
Included in this bundle are sample problems/topics and sample keys for your consideration. The variety in topics is designed to show just how adaptable this strategy can be across grade levels K - 12 and across math content topics. Blank "4 WAYS" templates are also included for your own classroom use.
I've also included teacher notes, and authentic work samples... from my own son!
Topics included here:
1) Multiplication of whole numbers
2) Division of fractions
3) Solving a proportion / Equivalent fractions
4) Solving a 2-step inequality in one variable
5) Solving a multi-step equation in one variable
6) Finding the slope of a line passing through 2 points
7) Expressing a visual, linear pattern
8) Expressing a visual, quadratic pattern
9) Blank 4 WAYS "solve"' template
10) Blank 4 WAYS "patterning" template