In this performance task, students create their own elevation maps and practice using absolute value number sentences to find the distance between integers with the same and different signs. This activity is engaging, as it gives kids a chance to get creative, using any realistic or imaginary objects / places / animals / etc. on their map.
This can also be adapted for finding the distance between any rational numbers!
- Introduction & task description
- Student work sample projects
- A teacher-generated rubric, as well as a blank rubric that can be developed as a class
- Planning space for student designs
- Work space for student-generated questions and answers
- Bulletin board card with title and Common Core standards