This product relates to practical activities on adding and subtraction.
Ideal for whole class and small group activities.
There is extension work beyond 10 for more able students.
1. PowerPoint Presentation (15 Slides)
2. Digit cards 0 to 20 - laminate
3. Tens Frame – print out and laminate
4. 10 cards in five colors – print as many as you need
5. 10 counters in five colors – Ditto.
6. Plus and Minus cards for activities– Ditto.
7. 6 Worksheets to practice and reinforce adding/subtraction skills
You have the option of playing the PowerPoint Presentation before sending children to their tables to do the activities.
The Presentation includes teaching and whole class activities addition and subtraction using tens frames
You can click and drag around the pictures on the PowerPoint slides.
• Explain to the students that to do the activity they will need the digit cards, a tens frame and they can use either cards or counters. The cards and counters are in different colors so they can decide which two colors to use when doing addition tasks.
• They only need to choose one color when doing subtraction.
Hand out whiteboards/drywipe pens and/or student can record the practical activities in their math books.
I have explained on the example sheets how the teaching aids can be used.
Some Additional Uses
• Extension for more able students: addition and subtraction up to 20- use 2 tens frames and say to the student there are now 2 lots of tens frames making a total of 20 individual frames or cells – see example Using 2 Tens Frames.
The more able students can practice shuffling higher digit cards repeating the same procedure as with the smaller number digit cards.
• Use multiple tens frames for students to count in tens.
Lay out 3 tens frames and ask the child to count out 25 counters to fill the frames. Then ask how many more counters is needed to make 30. S/he can then fill the remainder of the empty frames with different color counters to see how many are needed.
When the students have practiced doing additions they can practice doing subtraction sums.
Remind students that they only have to choose one color card or counter for subtraction tasks. They still need to choose two digit cards and use the minus and equals symbols.
Keep laminated digit cards, ten frames, color cards and counters in workstation.
I hope you enjoy this product and thank you for looking.