This addition and subtraction Math Mystery will engage and motivate your students to practice their addition and subtraction skills (within 20). In Math Mystery: Case of The Great Zoo Escape students must use their math skills to decode 5 clues and discover who, where, when, what and why in their investigation of the case. Students will need to cut out the picture answer on their clue sheet and paste to their Mystery Case file until all five have been completed.
Depending on the ability of your students and where your class is up to in the curriculum, this could be used in Grades 1 and/or 2.
This fun detective story also encourages literacy skills as students must read simple sentences, comprehend and match information given with a text picture stencil to present on their mystery case file.
You can choose to use this resource in a number of ways. Some suggestions are:
• Complete one clue page daily as part of daily math practice or mental math warmup.
• Use as an early finisher task for fast/advanced students.
• Homework practice (1 page per day or week)
• Complete all at once as a whole class (guided/groups/pairs/independently)
In this math mystery pack you will receive:
• Teacher Instructions
• The Math Mystery Story, “Case of The Great Zoo Escape”
• Math Mystery Case File – that students will use as they work through each clue
• Clue 1 (WHO) – Addition (0-20)
• Clue 2 (WHERE) – Subtraction (0-20)
• Clue 3 (WHEN) – Addition (0-20), Time (am/pm, yesterday/today)
• Clue 4 (WHAT) – Subtraction (0-20)
• Clue 5 (WHY) – Addition and Subtraction (0-20)
• A Literacy Extension Activity for optional use post investigation (Write a Letter)
• Answer Sheets
• Printable awards to give to students who solve the mystery of The Great Zoo Escape!
I hope your students enjoy. Please do not hesitate to email me on JJResourceCreations@gmail.com or use my store Q & A if you need help or have any questions when using this resource.
This is a different format to my other math mysteries. This is a new structure that I hope will work well with younger students. If you would prefer something more challenging, or would like math mysteries for other grades/skills you can find more Math Mysteries HERE
Look for the little green star near my store name and click to follow for updates on new freebies, new math mysteries added and more!
Your feedback would be appreciated! :) Thanks!
You may also be interested in the following:
Back to School Math Mystery: Case of The School Invaders _GRADE 2
(This Grade 2 Math Mystery follows my math mystery process of elimination structure).
Halloween Math Mystery: Case of The Tricking Treat GRADE 2
Fall Math Mystery: Case of The Furious Fall Winds (GRADE 2)