Addition and Subtraction Word Problems - Math Story Problem Task Cards
- Google Apps™
- Easel Assessment
What educators are saying
Use these 32 addition & subtraction task cards to help your students gain fluency in solving two-digit addition and subtraction word problems with short answer and multiple-choice options!
There is a mix of one and two-step problems, and almost all of these problems require regrouping to solve. A few of the addition cards include up to four addends. Addition and subtraction are randomly mixed to keep students on their toes!
- 32 Task Cards (prints 4 to a page)
- Short Answer or Multiple Choice
- Recording Sheets
- Answer Keys
- Google Slides - Short Answer
- Easel Assessment - Self-Checking
- Digital or Print
- Challenge Card to extend the lesson
- Self-Checking or Short Answer
- Multiple versions of the recording sheet included
Great for 2nd or 3rd grade!
CHECK OUT THE PREVIEW TO SEE A LOT MORE!
This resource uses American English and is editable.
These cards will work well at centers or stations or for individual use. Three different student answer sheets are included so that you can choose the one that best fits your students' needs. On the first answer sheet, students must complete all 32 answers. On the other two answer sheets, they are asked to work on just 3 or 4 cards at a time, but they have room to show their work. Alternatively, you may have your students use the first answer sheet while showing their work on notebook paper. An answer key is also included, as well as a Cover Card and a Challenge Card that can be used together with any other card in the set to extend the activity.
- Download our to learn 31 different ways you can use this resource!
✏️ "Love these. This is such a nice independent practice task for 2nd Graders. All students were able to read the questions which means they are written in kid friendly language. I am extremely pleased." -Danna S.
✏️ "I love this resource! I have always been a huge fan of task cards to get students collaborating, and this set was perfect for my second graders as we are in the beginning stages of double digit addition and subtraction. I was able to use it with all of my leveled math groups from high to low. I especially loved letting my high group solve these and challenge each other on their own. Can't wait to print and laminate these to use in person again one day!" -Gabrielle S.
✏️ "This was a great resource for story problems involving addition and subtraction with regrouping. This was a great review for my third graders. I have used other materials from this author and they have all been an excellent resource! Thanks!" -Angela S.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE…
- Snack Shack Money Word Problems
- Math Enrichment Worksheets
- Math Test Prep Task Cards
- Candy Store Money Math
- Math Brain Teasers
- Elapsed Time Word Problems DOUBLE SET!
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.Math.Content.2.OA.A.1 - Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
- CCSS.Math.Content.2.NBT.B.6 - Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
Be the first to know about discounts, freebies and new resources!
- Follow us on .
- Join our .
- Check out our Blog
- Follow us on Social Media - or
Get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
- Go to your My Purchases page.
- Click on the Provide Feedback button to leave a rating and a short comment.
- You’ll earn TPT credits, which you can redeem on future purchases!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ WE STRIVE FOR 5 STARS! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
NEED HELP? Before leaving feedback:
- Visit the FAQs section
- submit a help ticket
- ask a question on the Q& A tab
About the Author
Rachel Lynette is a published author of over 120 nonfiction books for children on a variety of subjects, as well as several teacher resource books. She has written for publishers such as Harcourt, Thompson-Gale, Rosen, Children’s Press, Evan-Moor, Kagan, and several others. This resource reflects more than a decade of professional writing experience.
This resource was created by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack for Minds in Bloom INC., all rights reserved. It may be used by the original purchaser for single class use only. Teachers may distribute this product in email, through google classroom or over the Internet to their students (and parents) as long as the site is password protected. In other words, you may distribute it to your own students, but may not put it on the Internet where it could be publicly found and downloaded.
This product is happily brought to you by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack of Minds in Bloom