Celebrate the arrival of spring with this 110 page nonfiction packet full of information on animals that we often see during the springtime. These articles are full of information that can be read whole group, during guided reading, in small groups, or individually. This packet is full of ready to print pages that are sure to make springtime bloom in your classroom.
The articles are written about the following animals:
In addition to the informational articles, this packet includes:
- vocabulary cards with pictures
- comprehension questions for each animal
- comprehension activity (3 truths and a lie) for each animal - students have to identify the 3 true facts and the 1 false fact
- Venn diagram to compare characteristics of any two springtime animals
- ‘question it’ graphic organizers that can be used with any animal (students will write specific questions they have about any springtime animal prior to learning about them)
- KWL for each animal - students record what they know, want to know, and what they learned
- fact recording for each animal – students record the cool facts that they learn about each animal as they are reading
- can, have, are graphic organizer for each animal –students record what each animal can do, what each animal has, and what the animals are
-“All About” animal research report template (along with a graphic organizer for each animal to help with planning)
- scavenger hunt
All of these activities align with the following Common Core Standards:
Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
With prompting and support, read informational texts appropriately complex for grade 1.
By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Please feel free to email to ask any questions you may have before purchasing (firstname.lastname@example.org).