Easy, Commmon Core and NGSS aligned, and effective in addressing multiples ways of visualizing information about inputs and outputs of cell respiration!
1. Complete the equation for cell respiration
2. Complete a graphic organizer to list the reactants and products of the process
3. Label a diagram of a mitochondrion with the inputs and outputs of respiration
4. Answer questions about respiration
5. Write a paragraph comparing photosynthesis and respiration (with guiding questions).
Note: As per the Next Generation Science Standards, emphasis is on inputs and outputs of the process, and NOT on specific biochemical steps.
Common Core Literacy and NGSS standards listed on page 1.
Common Core Alignment:
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
Translate quantitative or technical information expressed in words in a text into visual form (e.g., a table or chart) and translate information expressed visually or mathematically (e.g., in an equation) into words.
NGSS HS LS 1-7
Use a model to illustrate that cellular respiration is a chemical process whereby the bonds of food molecules and oxygen molecules are broken and the bonds in new compounds are formed resulting in a net transfer of energy.[Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on the conceptual understanding of the inputs and outputs of the process of cellular respiration.] [Assessment Boundary: Assessment should not include identification of the steps or specific processes involved in cellular respiration.]