Compounds – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with one fully interactive presentation slide that is also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement of the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (chemical change, compound, chemical formula, subscript, and hydrocarbon)
• How chemical changes occur
• Formation of compounds
• Naming of compounds with 4 examples of everyday compounds (with chemical name, chemical compound, and elements in compound)
• How compounds are identified using physical and chemical properties
• The uses of compounds in everyday lives
The last slide has a white-background and is used for the printable. The printable is already in PDF form in the package. The white-background page is not included in the total pages. I include it in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printable.
The interactive/review slide and printable:
• The interactive activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: chemical change, chemical formula, compound, hydrocarbon, and subscript. There is also a section where students read 10 chemical formulas with subscripts and, using a key at the top of the page, list the elements and amount of each for the listed compounds.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.