Read with Speed is a phonics-based decoding intervention that provides struggling readers a targeted way to increase their reading fluency (both speed and accuracy). This is a quick, effective strategy that works as a classroom center, or as an RtI or Special Education intervention. Students can practice with a peer, on their own, or at home in just minutes a day. Teacher prep and progress monitoring is also quick and easy to maintain. All needed forms, including positive reinforcement certificates, are included! This resource is appropriate in format and content for upper elementary and middle school students.
Students practice phonograms and link each one to a keyword. This enables them to recall the keyword when decoding an unfamiliar word and increases automaticity in decoding. Tracking student accuracy and speed provides the teacher with progress monitoring data and is shared with the student so they can participate in goal setting and celebrate reaching milestones.
This program includes:
- 97 printable flash cards with a key word and phonics pattern underlined, in color and black-and-white
- Pre-assessment and progress monitoring forms and graph
- Tracking sheets for individual and whole class data
- Individualized student word list forms
- Certificates of completion for word lists and the program
1. Administer the pre-assessment, recording accuracy and correct words per minute. See form for more instructions.
2. For students with a below average reading fluency, those with slow processing speeds, speech pattern that slows rate of speech/reading, or any other issue that will impact their ability to meet the average goal (1 second per phonogram and keyword) you may choose to administer the individual word reading speed check to determine an achievable speed for the students’ word reading goal. You may also use current reading fluency data if available.
3. Draw a goal line on the graph and graph their baseline data point
4. Assign students to a word list or create a personal word bank with the student. Combine words they have mastered with words they were not accurate with so they are learning new phonograms (phonics patterns), reinforcing known ones, and increasing overall accuracy. Suggested to limit list to between 10 and 30 total words. Provide instruction on the phonograms that were not accurately read
5. Students practice words in a variety of contexts (cards, slideshow, as homework, with a partner, as a center activity, with a word sort, etc.)
6. Students are re-assessed approximately weekly (fit to your classroom schedule) and results are graphed.
7. Students who meet their goal are celebrated and their word list changed to include more un-mastered keywords and phonograms, until they have mastered every one.
Please note: Students need to have had basic instruction in phonograms prior to using this program. Single-sound consonants are not included in this program.
• Buy this Program in a BUNDLE that also addresses comprehension and spelling here: Reading Intervention BUNDLE
You might also be interested in:
• Read with Speed Digital Flash Cards!
•See my other products for struggling readers here.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.