Density, Density, Density! This five-day density unit allows students to start with a conceptual understanding of density before starting in on the density math problems. Students will interact through multiple modalities – games, simulations, a lab, real life applications, density word problems, and an assessment to measure conceptual and mathematical density ability.
Below is a timeline of the unit. Included in the zip file is a much more detailed plan with helpful teacher notes.
- density game to generate engagement
- discussion to generate vocabulary
- simulation to conceptualize the relationship between mass, volume, and density
- simulation to start including math
- math problems with accompanying color sheet for self-check
- discussion to generate relationship between density and temperature
- real-life application problems as well as discussions
- density lab
- density game
- density assessment