This sorting activity helps your students practice finding and interpreting the discriminant of a quadratic equation.
Here is what's included:
- 3 quick- fold pockets to hold sorted cards
- 30 basic cards (mix of graphs, word phrases, and equations)
- 10 optional add-on cards with equations that are not already set equal to zero
- 3 "answer cards" that list which cards should be in each pocket
- optional "sorting mat" to offer an alternative format (great for group work or learning stations)
Students will cut out and sort the cards into the correct pocket (one real root, two real roots, or no real roots). The pockets fit well on an interactive notebook page.
Then, hand out the answer/check cards. After students have verified that their cards were sorted correctly, the answer cards can be tucked into the back of each pocket. Students can re-do the activity as a review at any time.
Your class may also enjoy these other activities:
End Behavior of Polynomial Functions: Sorting Activities
Conquest Game - Algebra Set 2 - Solving Inequalities
Factoring Polynomials "GridWords" : FULL SET