This is a set of 107 enrichment, reinforcement and review task cards for your lessons on ecosystems. Students will answer questions about energy flow and the recycling of matter within and between ecosystems. Students will use their critical thinking skills to answer questions about food chains, food webs, and ecological (energy) pyramids. Students will explore the water cycle, the carbon cycle, the nitrogen cycle and so much more.
Suitable for life science and biology students in grades 8 -12.
Task cards are a fantastic way to enrich or reinforce lessons, review difficult concepts, or provide extra practice for the struggling student. The student reads each card, performs the task, and records his/her answer on the included student answer sheet.
From the moment of purchase, you will be ready to use your task cards in just a few minutes. Simply print the sheets of task cards on card stock paper, laminate, and cut the cards apart. The cards look best when printed in color, but they can easily be printed in black and white.
This set of 107 task cards on ecosystems covers the following concepts and topics:
• Energy Flow Through the Ecosystem: Sunlight as a source of energy, importance of photosynthesis, conversion of energy into glucose and other organic compounds.
• Autotrophs, producers, examples of autotrophs, chemoautotrophs and chemosynthesis.
• Heterotrophs, consumers, examples of heterotrophs, herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, detritivores, decomposers, the essential nature of decomposition.
• Feeding Relationships: One way flow of energy through the ecosystem, food chains, examples of food chains, food webs, trophic levels, primary producers, primary consumers, secondary consumers, tertiary consumers.
• Productivity of the Ecosystem: Two ways to measure productivity, gross primary productivity, the role of glucose in productivity, biomass, net primary productivity, factors that determine productivity in both terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.
• Energy transfer between trophic levels, ecological pyramids, percentage of energy that moves up to the next trophic level, reasons why the transfer of energy is so low.
• Given a hypothetical food chain, the student will identify the autotroph, the primary consumer, secondary consumer, and tertiary consumer as well as calculate the amount of energy passed to each trophic level.
• Ecosystem recycling: The recycling of matter, the essential need to recycle carbon, nitrogen, water, and phosphorus, biogeochemical cycles.
• Water Cycle: Location of water, evaporation, precipitation, transpiration, condensation, steps to water cycle, students will complete a diagram of the water cycle.
• The Carbon Cycle: The importance of carbon to organic compounds, the role of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in the carbon cycle, the role of erosion and volcanic activity in the carbon cycle, decomposition, burning of fossil fuels, steps to the carbon cycle, the student will label a diagram of the carbon cycle, the human impact on the carbon cycle.
• The Nitrogen Cycle: The importance of nitrogen in building proteins and nucleic acids, nitrogen fixation, ammonification, nitrification, denitrification, assimilation, the role of various bacteria in the nitrogen cycle, students will label a diagram of the nitrogen cycle.
• The Phosphorus Cycle: The importance of phosphorus to ATP and nucleotides, the movement of phosphorus through the ecosystem.
• Limiting nutrients
What is included in this product?
• A set of 107 editable
• 5 Full-Color Diagrams of food webs, energy pyramids, and biogeochemical cycles.
• A student answer sheet for recording answers. (4-pages)
• Blank task cards so that you can add additional questions.
• A complete teacher answer key. (13-pages)
�� Teacher Guide containing tips, tricks, and suggestions for use. (5-pages)
• Review PowerPoint of 107 slides.
Related Products Include:
Ecosystems and the Biosphere: Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Food Chains and Food Webs Activity
Lab Activity: Exploring an Ecosystem
Ecosystems Homework Bundle of 5 Assignments
Ecosystems - Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter Quiz Bundle
Ecosystems Crossword Puzzle
Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter Review Questions and Answers
Ecosystems Unit Test
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page