This packet contains everything you need to help your students become editing "COPS" who "investigate" their writing and "arrest" their mistakes! I have changed the typical COPS acronym slightly from what you typically see. Instead of the O standing for "Organization," I changed it to "Out Loud Quality" because I view organization as more of a revision skill than an editing skill. I noticed that many students rush through their writing, and as a result, they don't actually write what they meant to say. They might leave out words, repeat words or even write the wrong words. "Out Loud Quality" means that when they read their writing out loud, the words match what they actually meant to say.
Out Loud Quality
This packet includes:
- COPS role cards for each of the 4 areas: Students can work in groups of 4 with each student focusing on a different area of editing. The cards provide them with a checklist of what to look for as they edit. I have my students rotate papers so their writing is read 4 times, each time under a different editing lens.
- COPS badges that students can wear to help them get into their editing roles- includes adorable Scrappin Doodles police officer clip art!
- A checklist reference sheet of all 4 areas for students to keep in a writing folder or notebook
- Large editing symbols for you to cut apart and use as needed
- Smaller editing symbols and graphics to make your own editing symbols anchor chart
- Editing symbols reference sheet for students to keep in a writing folder or notebook
This packet is sure to help your students take more ownership over the quality of their writing. Enjoy!
Light Up the Classroom
***If you are looking for another way to promote writing conventions, check out my Writing Conventions Hall of Fame Bulletin Board.***