On the first day of school, teachers use that time to tell the students about the class and classroom. How about you gather some information about your students and their feelings about math at the same time?
This purchase has two sheets available. Both cover questions like --
- evaluative questions about the student's perceived mathematical ability
- questions about their mathematical mindset
- personal questions about what makes them unique or what they intend to do after graduation
The first page also asks students to define mathematics and the roles of teachers and students in the classroom. I have found those discussions very enlightening. For the students that complete the paper quickly, they can color the artwork while they wait.
The second page includes:
- If you could describe yourself as an animal, what would it be?
- What kind of teacher do you think I am?
It's a different way to get to know your students and an interesting way to learn where they are. You can even use some of the information later in the year as an evaluation of your teaching or to show the students their individual growth!