Students follow along during lecture, copy examples, and work problems to get immediate reinforcement of the concepts. The worksheets logically guide students through the following concepts:
Section I: Simplify Fractions
* Simplify fractions by dividing out common factors
* Create Prime Factor Trees
* Simplify fractions by dividing out common Prime Factors
* Calculate Greatest Common Factor by multiplying common Prime Factors
* Simplify fractions by dividing out Greatest Common Factor
* Convert Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions and Vice Versa
Section II: Multiply Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Section III: Divide Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Section IV: Add and Subtract Fractions with Common Denominators
Section V: Find the Least Common Multiple
* Using a List of Multiples
* Using Prime Factorization
Section VI: Calculate Equivalent Fractions
Section VII: Add and Subtract Fractions with Different Denominators
* Method used for finding LCD: List of Multiples
Section VIII: Add and Subtract Mixed Numbers
* Use improper fractions
* Add the whole numbers and fractions separately
* A chart is provided so students can use a List of Multiples, Prime Factorization, or both methods when determining the LCD.
The zip file includes 2 PDF documents, the first being the 18-page lecture/problem set plus the cover page and information pages, and the second being a duplicate of the first but with the answers filled in, minus the cover and information pages. When printing the PDF, you may want to choose the option, “Actual size”.
I welcome your comments and suggestions! This worksheet packet has brought great results with students in secondary education and adult education classes.
Tip: The following product is a great lead-in to the Fraction Operations packet, as it covers GCF and Prime Factors:
Number Theory: Simplifying Fractions - Greatest Common Factor and Prime Factors
Students often confuse Factors and Multiples, and Least Common Multiple with Greatest Common Factor. This worksheet packet was created to help them distinguish between and remember the terms!
Fraction Review of Factors, Multiples, Prime Factors, GCF
A summary of Fraction Operation Rules and coordinating practice problems comprise this product: Fractions/Mixed Numbers: Rules and Practice
Fractions/Mixed Numbers - Simplify, Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract
by Dawn Designs
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License