Knowledge of genre is a foundational skill of responsible, informed readers. With this genre study unit, you will engage your students as readers by exploring the 10 main genres through picture books, chapter books, and graphic novels. Teach mini-lessons with picture books and note-taking pages, and assess students’ understanding of genre before, during, and after the unit.
Fiction: Realistic Fiction, Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Traditional Literature
Non-Fiction: Autobiography, Biography, Memoir, Informational
This resource includes:
- Teacher Directions + Picture Book Suggestions (for mini-lessons) + Tweaks and Tips
- Teacher and student copies of Genre Key Characteristics Note-Taking pages. Student copies come in two sizes: standard and composition notebook. Teacher copies include key characteristics of each genre and examples of books.
- Pre-Assessment: Library Scavenger Hunt
- 2 Formative Assessments: Key Characteristics matching assessment and a group assessment, in which students infer the genre of a box of books
- Summative Assessment: Students infer the genre of five books. Includes an editable version, so you can select your own titles.
- Answer Keys for all assessments
**Grab our FREE Genre Posters here!