Engage your students as readers by exploring the 10 main genres through picture books, chapter books, and graphic novels. Teach mini-lessons with picture books and note-taking pages, and assess students’ understanding of genre before, during, and after the unit. Knowledge of genre is a foundational skill of responsible, informed readers.
- Realistic Fiction
- Historical Fiction
- Science Fiction
- Traditional Literature
This resource includes:
- Teacher Directions + Picture Book Suggestions (for mini-lessons)
- Teacher and student copies of note-taking pages. Student copies come in two sizes: standard and composition notebook. Teacher copies include key characteristics of each genre and examples of books.
- Pre-Assessment: Library Scavenger Hunt
- 2 Formative Assessments: matching assessment and a small group assessment
- Summative Assessment: Includes a ready-to-use version & an editable version
- Answer Keys for all assessments
**Grab our FREE Genre Posters here!**