PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This project was created for a fifth grade Advanced Math group who needed to practice with decimal multiplication. I searched all over TPT, but couldn't find anything with enough math, so I created my own! Students worked in groups to complete this in one hour per week, over 3 weeks. More time would produce even better results, but my kids were ENTHRALLED with this project, and asked to stay in during recess to work on it!
The project covers most NBT standards for 5th grade, IF you also have them do some division at the end. (I had mine divide the cost of the gingerbread houses between the elves working on the project together. My teams were 2-3 students.)
* measure and figure area and perimeter, and convert from inches to square centimeters.
* pretend to be an elf, and design his/her "dream home," within a budget.
* Calculate building and land costs for the elf dream home.
* Calculate the cost of other materials for the gingerbread house.
* Compare predicted to actual costs (if your students actually build the gingerbread house.)
* Create a display board (optional)
There is a list of materials needed, and students have a pricing list that you can add to. Thanks for checking out my product! I hope it serves you and your students well!