“Halloween Math – Addition Word Problems" is a hands-on activity that reinforces reading, writing, and the solving of addition word problems, sums to ten. Ten worksheets – with graphics - are included.
Reference: CCSS - K.OA.A.1 and K.OA.A.2
Suggested use is for K – 1 … and any others who may benefit from the tactile-kinesthetic approach. One problem per worksheet.
• Being physically engaged helps younger students succeed
• Manipulation of materials helps them build good eye-hand coordination skills, which include the fine motor skills necessary for reading and writing
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” - Benjamin Franklin
The student will …
• Read and then TRACE the words in the addition word problem story
• Find the correct Halloween “things” (graphics needed are included), and then cut and paste them onto the top of the worksheet in the space provided
• Differentiation: You may want some students to draw and color the items, instead of cutting and pasting
• Now, the student can add the “things” together, and then write the problem and its answer on the lines shown at the bottom of the worksheet
• Ideas for naming the main topic are included
Extension: For a bulletin board display, add an eye-catching headline above their work (e.g., Halloween Math).
Halloween math, addition, word problems, math center, activities, sums to ten
Copyright © 2013 Lynda Smith Davis www.funny-first-grade-people.com
Image © Graphics Factory.com All rights reserved.