This challenging, fun, engaging math lab gives students an opportunity to practice many real-life skills during the days leading up to Halloween. Students must call on a variety of skills related to addition, subtraction, money, and problem solving during this activity. Three different versions of this problem are available so you may differentiate your instruction.
In this project, the students will receive a mysterious letter with a request from some spooky neighbors to help them plan a Halloween party. They will be responsible for making sense of the problem (outlined in the letter), and using one of the three differentiated price lists to follow the criteria in the problem. They must purchase food, beverages, decorations, and other supplies while following a certain budget. There are many ways to solve this problem.
This will be a difficult project for students. I suggest that you resist the urge to help them as much as you possibly can. They will learn a lot about problem solving if they complete this on their own. I recommend putting students in small groups and allowing them to work on this project for 3-5 days, depending on your students’ ability level and the problem you choose to use in your classroom.
Included in this product, you will find:
* A teacher directions page to help you create your lesson plans quickly (with standards addressed included for quick copying and pasting into your personal planning template)
* 1 letter introducing the problem to students
* 3 differentiated price list pages with different numbers to address different learners or grade levels.
* 2 planning pages for students to use to solve the problem
* 2 pages for students to write their final decisions and keep track of/check calculations
* 1 follow-up letter thanking students for helping to solve the problem
This product addresses the following Common Core State Standards:
All Grades: CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP1, CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP4
First Grade: CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1OA.A.1, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.A.2, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.C.6
Second Grade: CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.OA.A.1, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.0A.B.2, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.NBT.B.5
Third Grade: CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.OA.D.8, CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.2
Thank you so much for your interest in this product! Feel free to contact me with any questions or stop by my blog for more information: A Word On Third