The Prereferral Folder provides one way to identify at risk children as they are completing their Kindergarten year. May and June are optimal months for planning effective interventions to address issues of concern. In many cases parents and caregivers are then able to provide and maintain support over the summer months. In this way as many children as possible can begin their Grade One year set for successful learning.
The Prereferral Folder helps to:
• establish an assessment and evaluation procedure that is consistent between Kindergarten classroom teachers and from one year to the next
• reduce the chance of at risk learners being missed or ‘slipping through the cracks’
• promote collaboration and articulation between classroom teachers, support staff and parents
• initiate intervention strategies and ideas
• document information that may be used for more formal referrals
• ensure the following four developmental areas are reviewed:
social and emotional
aesthetic and artistic
This 7 page handout is relevant for Kindergarten teachers, administrators and school based support teachers.
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.