Are your students struggling to make inferences ON THEIR OWN with THEIR OWN BOOKS? Try This! It's simple, but very powerful!!
I've been struggling with this very issue. Students are able to make inferences with passages or exerts that I'VE selected, but when it comes to making them on their own, I've realized that it's very difficult for them to understand WHEN they can or should make them.
This is a very difficult thing to answer when you don't know anything about the book they are reading during their independent reading time!
This is my answer! This reference breaks down WHEN students can make inferences, and then prompts them through HOW to do it. It's like a teacher is sitting right there with them!
I taught them how to use this reference during a few mini lessons. They used it to decide when to make inferences with my mentor texts.
This guide also helps to make sure students record the evidence that goes along with their inferences!
-WHEN to make inferences guide
-TWENTY-SEVEN Inferencing Task Cards
Each Task Card has "Evidence/Text" and an inferencing question.
Answer Sheet for students to fill out is included, as well as an
- TWO differentiated inferencing graphic organizers
- One graphic organizer to show "thinking" and "evidence" of thinking
- "My Sticky Notes" page (After kids mark places in their books with stickies, they can later stick them all to one page to help them construct a full reading response. I was thinking that this would be something good to laminate, keep in a binder/folder, and use over and over again!)
- A short story PACKED with things to make inferences about. Comes with guiding inferencing questions that go along with it!
Please let me know how this works for you!! =)
If you like this, check out my brand new Character Trait Pack full of fun, unique activities!!
Character Traits Ultimate Pack
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the red star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺